Skip to main content

The Shannons

Out at lunch with my wonderful family
As always, I feel I need to add a disclaimer here about how busy I've been and apologize to myself - and whoever ends up reading this - about not keeping up with this blog.  It was easier with just Joe because my time home meant mostly quiet during his frequent naps and plenty of time to gather thoughts to put down, where now I feel I can barely keep up with sleep and other basic functions of life.

Hectic life aside, I couldn't be happier with where I am right now as father.  Joe is at a wonderful age where he always wants to help us and be affectionate with Nora and we have started playing sports together rather than just hanging around the house.  He's really started taking an interest in baseball and soccer, and whenever I have the chance I try to at least kick the ball around the house a bit if I can't take him outside.  I'm hoping that once things settle down we can really spend some time together and work on some soccer and baseball basics and maybe look to start getting him into some sports clubs or leagues here soon.

Nora has been doing much better since the colic issues we had with her the first 8 weeks or so.  She had been at the point where she would basically be crying anytime she was awake, and lately she only gets that way leading into a nap or if she really needs a diaper change.  Other than that, she's generally a very smiley baby and loves to hang out on her play mat or in her bed to play with her toys.

She is already at the point where she definitely recognizes me and smiles when I see her for the first time in a while, so getting home after a long day of work is getting more and more rewarding between the two of them.  Not too long ago I cringed before coming home at the thought of what was waiting for me, but now I can't get up the stairs fast enough to see how the two of them are doing.

We finally got our court orders back for our name change, so we are all officially The Shannons.  I've still got to find the time to get my government paperwork sorted out, but it feels good to have it done and I'm incredibly happy to move on from a stressful part of my life and into what has been a very welcome family in the Shannons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 17 update

Last night Rachael and I decided on a Natural Birth center in Chantilly for baby delivery. She's been immersed in baby books and documentaries since we found out she was pregnant and I know that she's been wanting to find a great natural birth center. I could tell from watching her last night that she can see herself having the baby there and that she's getting very excited about all this - unfortunately we still have 20 long weeks to go. We've decided to schedule an ultrasound for 2 weeks from now to hopefully determine what gender the baby will be. Rachael's been going back and forth for some time now on what it'll be ... some days she feels its going to be a girl, but recently it's gone back more towards boy. Basically... we won't know until the ultrasound. Rachael's belly is definitely starting to show; you can tell that she's actually pregnant now and not putting on a little extra weight for the upcoming winter. She's been starting ...

3 Years Old

Joe feeling Nora kick for the first time Today is Joe's 3rd birthday.  It seems like a lifetime ago that he was born and we met him for the first time, and in some ways I feel like it was the start of a whole new life for me.  I can't imagine a world where I come home and don't have a familiar 'Dada!' and a big hug waiting to greet me. Things with Joe have been wonderful lately, despite frequent temper tantrums in the evening that I think we can attribute to his changing sleep schedule.  He frequently plays on his own and often has entire conversations with his toys or other objects in the house that just crack us up.  Last night, for example, he was asking his asparagus, "What's wrong?" and petting it before eventually just popping it in his mouth and continuing on with dinner. Joe's vocabulary has expanded significantly in the last few months, and I feel like we're at the point where he pretty much understands everything we're say...