Skip to main content

Joseph Wayne

It turns out we are having a boy and decided on Joseph Wayne as a name. I come from a long line of Josephs, all with different middle names and up until me all DeVaul. I wanted to honor this tradition regardless of my last name change, and we decided on Wayne to honor Rachaels father.

Rachael's been getting quite big lately, to the point where she is uncomfortable laying or sitting in the same position for any length of time. She's also outgrowing most of her coats she's had and some of her maternity clothes she'd bought at the beginning of the pregnancy. She's mostly in my clothes in the evening; baggy for her but comfortable I'm sure.

Rachael has been feeling Joseph kick since week 16 or so, and I was able to start to feel it around week 22. It's been getting very powerful recently, and we can even watch her stomach move when he kicks hard. It's been amazing to see, and most of me isn't quite able to process what's been going on and how wonderful it's all going to be. I'm sure once I see him it will all change, but right now it's still a surreal thing to think about.

We haven't quite decided on a nickname for Joseph yet... I was Joey growing up and I'm not sure about passing that on because it's felt a bit feminine and childish to me with my family calling me that. We might end up using that after all since Rachael doesn't like JW, which is my preferred nickname.

Rachael's far enough along that she will be visiting the midwife every other week now - just another sign of how close we are. We also set up the bassinnet and started buying things like blankets... it's all starting to take shape at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shannons

Out at lunch with my wonderful family As always, I feel I need to add a disclaimer here about how busy I've been and apologize to myself - and whoever ends up reading this - about not keeping up with this blog.  It was easier with just Joe because my time home meant mostly quiet during his frequent naps and plenty of time to gather thoughts to put down, where now I feel I can barely keep up with sleep and other basic functions of life. Hectic life aside, I couldn't be happier with where I am right now as father.  Joe is at a wonderful age where he always wants to help us and be affectionate with Nora and we have started playing sports together rather than just hanging around the house.  He's really started taking an interest in baseball and soccer, and whenever I have the chance I try to at least kick the ball around the house a bit if I can't take him outside.  I'm hoping that once things settle down we can really spend some time together and work on some soc...

Week 17 update

Last night Rachael and I decided on a Natural Birth center in Chantilly for baby delivery. She's been immersed in baby books and documentaries since we found out she was pregnant and I know that she's been wanting to find a great natural birth center. I could tell from watching her last night that she can see herself having the baby there and that she's getting very excited about all this - unfortunately we still have 20 long weeks to go. We've decided to schedule an ultrasound for 2 weeks from now to hopefully determine what gender the baby will be. Rachael's been going back and forth for some time now on what it'll be ... some days she feels its going to be a girl, but recently it's gone back more towards boy. Basically... we won't know until the ultrasound. Rachael's belly is definitely starting to show; you can tell that she's actually pregnant now and not putting on a little extra weight for the upcoming winter. She's been starting ...

3 Years Old

Joe feeling Nora kick for the first time Today is Joe's 3rd birthday.  It seems like a lifetime ago that he was born and we met him for the first time, and in some ways I feel like it was the start of a whole new life for me.  I can't imagine a world where I come home and don't have a familiar 'Dada!' and a big hug waiting to greet me. Things with Joe have been wonderful lately, despite frequent temper tantrums in the evening that I think we can attribute to his changing sleep schedule.  He frequently plays on his own and often has entire conversations with his toys or other objects in the house that just crack us up.  Last night, for example, he was asking his asparagus, "What's wrong?" and petting it before eventually just popping it in his mouth and continuing on with dinner. Joe's vocabulary has expanded significantly in the last few months, and I feel like we're at the point where he pretty much understands everything we're say...