Skip to main content

He has Arrived


On Friday, February 24th, Joseph Wayne D'Angelo was born at 7:24PM. It was quite the eventful week for us; Rachael was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia over the previous weekend and was admitted to the hospital when her blood pressure jumped after our dog Mojo died on Tuesday morning. The doctors determined that the best course of action was to deliver early to mitigate any possible long-term damage to baby or mom.

Joseph has been in the NICU since he was born; he was born at only 4lbs 11oz and was quite underweight for his age. Since then, he has been steadily learning to eat on his own and today was finally taken off the IV that the hospital had been using to give him nourishment. We are hoping that he will soon be coming home - the hospital is waiting for him to be able to eat regularly and to maintain his body temperature and metabolism without external assistance.

Rachael was finally discharged from the hospital today, and we have spent the day planning our schedule to see our new son as much as possible while ensuring that Rachael gets as much sleep as possible to help recover from her high blood pressure. Neither of us can wait to have our little one home with us and to start our new life together as a family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shannons

Out at lunch with my wonderful family As always, I feel I need to add a disclaimer here about how busy I've been and apologize to myself - and whoever ends up reading this - about not keeping up with this blog.  It was easier with just Joe because my time home meant mostly quiet during his frequent naps and plenty of time to gather thoughts to put down, where now I feel I can barely keep up with sleep and other basic functions of life. Hectic life aside, I couldn't be happier with where I am right now as father.  Joe is at a wonderful age where he always wants to help us and be affectionate with Nora and we have started playing sports together rather than just hanging around the house.  He's really started taking an interest in baseball and soccer, and whenever I have the chance I try to at least kick the ball around the house a bit if I can't take him outside.  I'm hoping that once things settle down we can really spend some time together and work on some soc...

German Kindergarten

Mom and the kids at the Alhambra, Granada, Spain Both kids have started German Kindergarten (Kindi) in the past few weeks.  We're still going through a compulsory transition period with Nora but Joe's been in full-time for a good while and he's loving it.  It's rare that he doesn't come home covered head-to-toe in sand and he still has a hard time leaving every day because he's having such a good time.  His German is improving quite rapidly and he's already saying things I don't understand, which couldn't make me happier.  I'm so happy for both of my kids that they get this privilege of growing up in another country and having two primary languages, which I hope will give them opportunities later in life that I can't even think of.  Even without new opportunities, though, I'm happy that they can grow up in another culture and have the perspective of the world you can only gain through travel that I sorely wish I'd had as a young k...

Week 17 update

Last night Rachael and I decided on a Natural Birth center in Chantilly for baby delivery. She's been immersed in baby books and documentaries since we found out she was pregnant and I know that she's been wanting to find a great natural birth center. I could tell from watching her last night that she can see herself having the baby there and that she's getting very excited about all this - unfortunately we still have 20 long weeks to go. We've decided to schedule an ultrasound for 2 weeks from now to hopefully determine what gender the baby will be. Rachael's been going back and forth for some time now on what it'll be ... some days she feels its going to be a girl, but recently it's gone back more towards boy. Basically... we won't know until the ultrasound. Rachael's belly is definitely starting to show; you can tell that she's actually pregnant now and not putting on a little extra weight for the upcoming winter. She's been starting ...