Skip to main content

11 Months

Baby Joe enjoyed his dinner so much he decided to wear it
Baby Joe turned 11 months old this past weekend and is just about at that magical year mark for us.  He's been getting ever closer to walking on his own; he can stand unsupported for a few seconds at a time and does well walking when we are holding his hands.  I'm hoping that he will at least be taking steps on his own by his first birthday in 4 weeks.

He has also been teething again - his molars coming in on the top have caused large hematomas to form on his gums and he's been pretty unhappy about it on most nights recently.  His diet has changed significantly, though... he's eating solid foods a lot more and breastfeeding a lot less and, aside from the teething, has been sleeping more at night.  He really enjoys eating sauteed spinach and avacado, but also really enjoys ground up chicken, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.

When I come home from work or he sees me for the first time every day he usually has a huge smile for me and will wave and motion for me to pick him up.  He's been getting a lot better at communicating with us - he can let us know when he wants to go down on the floor, be picked up, when he wants to go to a specific location or wants to hold something, and he also has been doing better about forming sounds and putting together sounds to get closer to speaking whole words.  Just in the last few days he has started saying 'daddy' and 'tick' when we tickle him and he looks like he's trying very hard to form new words when he hears us talk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shannons

Out at lunch with my wonderful family As always, I feel I need to add a disclaimer here about how busy I've been and apologize to myself - and whoever ends up reading this - about not keeping up with this blog.  It was easier with just Joe because my time home meant mostly quiet during his frequent naps and plenty of time to gather thoughts to put down, where now I feel I can barely keep up with sleep and other basic functions of life. Hectic life aside, I couldn't be happier with where I am right now as father.  Joe is at a wonderful age where he always wants to help us and be affectionate with Nora and we have started playing sports together rather than just hanging around the house.  He's really started taking an interest in baseball and soccer, and whenever I have the chance I try to at least kick the ball around the house a bit if I can't take him outside.  I'm hoping that once things settle down we can really spend some time together and work on some soc...

Week 17 update

Last night Rachael and I decided on a Natural Birth center in Chantilly for baby delivery. She's been immersed in baby books and documentaries since we found out she was pregnant and I know that she's been wanting to find a great natural birth center. I could tell from watching her last night that she can see herself having the baby there and that she's getting very excited about all this - unfortunately we still have 20 long weeks to go. We've decided to schedule an ultrasound for 2 weeks from now to hopefully determine what gender the baby will be. Rachael's been going back and forth for some time now on what it'll be ... some days she feels its going to be a girl, but recently it's gone back more towards boy. Basically... we won't know until the ultrasound. Rachael's belly is definitely starting to show; you can tell that she's actually pregnant now and not putting on a little extra weight for the upcoming winter. She's been starting ...

3 Years Old

Joe feeling Nora kick for the first time Today is Joe's 3rd birthday.  It seems like a lifetime ago that he was born and we met him for the first time, and in some ways I feel like it was the start of a whole new life for me.  I can't imagine a world where I come home and don't have a familiar 'Dada!' and a big hug waiting to greet me. Things with Joe have been wonderful lately, despite frequent temper tantrums in the evening that I think we can attribute to his changing sleep schedule.  He frequently plays on his own and often has entire conversations with his toys or other objects in the house that just crack us up.  Last night, for example, he was asking his asparagus, "What's wrong?" and petting it before eventually just popping it in his mouth and continuing on with dinner. Joe's vocabulary has expanded significantly in the last few months, and I feel like we're at the point where he pretty much understands everything we're say...