Skip to main content

2 Years Old

Little Joe enjoying the snow
Little Joe turned two today, and what a whirlwind year it's been.  Again I find myself regretting that I've been unable to keep up with the amazing progress he's made but with our busy schedules I'm barely keeping my head above water with my school and work, let alone having the personal time to keep something like this up.

For Joe's birthday Rachael and I both left work early to take him to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum because it was unfortunately a little cold for us to do much of anything else.  We'd hoped to take him to the zoo or to a playground but I don't think he minded the museum.  He still absolutely loves airplanes- just like dad- and he spent the better part of almost two hours wandering around and looking at the planes.  "Aaaah!  Shoom!"

Yesterday we had a little birthday get together with Rachael's mom and two friends, Nick and Priya, along with their son Zack.  It wasn't much to speak of - Emily was sick so Rob and Christine couldn't come, along with some other friends - but he loved his fire truck cake and enjoyed opening his gifts and blowing out his candles.  Every time we sang "Happy Birthday" he would pretend to blow out candles regardless of whether there were actually candles in front of him.

He's been in daycare for a few weeks now that Rachael is back at work full-time and has been doing great with it.  We got him into a daycare not too far from my work and he seems to really enjoy the staff and kids that are there.  He's gotten used to the routine of me dropping him off and picking him up and finally got to the point where he's not crying much when I drop him off.

He just started getting his second molars in, so we have another fun period of teething coming up but at least these are his last baby teeth.  He's also just recently learned the word 'no' and is using it every chance he gets... when we tell him to clean up, tell him we're changing his diaper... pretty much anything he doesn't think is wonderful.  Fun times.  He also doesn't fit into his 3-year-old bike helmet we bought him for his birthday... like father, like son, I suppose.

All in all it's been two years that I can't imagine living without.  I am so happy to have a son that I'm in love with and I'm still amazed every time I see his smiling face.  He's been getting very affectionate with me, which has made me more of a softie than I'd imagined I would be, which is saying a lot.  I'm looking for the day in the not too distant future that I'm able to have conversations with him and really start to teach him everything I want to.  He's an amazing kid and I'm the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shannons

Out at lunch with my wonderful family As always, I feel I need to add a disclaimer here about how busy I've been and apologize to myself - and whoever ends up reading this - about not keeping up with this blog.  It was easier with just Joe because my time home meant mostly quiet during his frequent naps and plenty of time to gather thoughts to put down, where now I feel I can barely keep up with sleep and other basic functions of life. Hectic life aside, I couldn't be happier with where I am right now as father.  Joe is at a wonderful age where he always wants to help us and be affectionate with Nora and we have started playing sports together rather than just hanging around the house.  He's really started taking an interest in baseball and soccer, and whenever I have the chance I try to at least kick the ball around the house a bit if I can't take him outside.  I'm hoping that once things settle down we can really spend some time together and work on some soc...

Week 17 update

Last night Rachael and I decided on a Natural Birth center in Chantilly for baby delivery. She's been immersed in baby books and documentaries since we found out she was pregnant and I know that she's been wanting to find a great natural birth center. I could tell from watching her last night that she can see herself having the baby there and that she's getting very excited about all this - unfortunately we still have 20 long weeks to go. We've decided to schedule an ultrasound for 2 weeks from now to hopefully determine what gender the baby will be. Rachael's been going back and forth for some time now on what it'll be ... some days she feels its going to be a girl, but recently it's gone back more towards boy. Basically... we won't know until the ultrasound. Rachael's belly is definitely starting to show; you can tell that she's actually pregnant now and not putting on a little extra weight for the upcoming winter. She's been starting ...

3 Years Old

Joe feeling Nora kick for the first time Today is Joe's 3rd birthday.  It seems like a lifetime ago that he was born and we met him for the first time, and in some ways I feel like it was the start of a whole new life for me.  I can't imagine a world where I come home and don't have a familiar 'Dada!' and a big hug waiting to greet me. Things with Joe have been wonderful lately, despite frequent temper tantrums in the evening that I think we can attribute to his changing sleep schedule.  He frequently plays on his own and often has entire conversations with his toys or other objects in the house that just crack us up.  Last night, for example, he was asking his asparagus, "What's wrong?" and petting it before eventually just popping it in his mouth and continuing on with dinner. Joe's vocabulary has expanded significantly in the last few months, and I feel like we're at the point where he pretty much understands everything we're say...